One country that I have
always wanted to visit and learn about is the Czech Republic.
Five ways I would prepare
myself to culturally responsive towards families from the Czech Republic
include:
1. Understanding the value of family in the Czech
Republic – The country follows more of a traditional role in the family. The
father is the main breadwinner with the mother staying home until the child is
at least 3 years.
2. Understand the importance of greetings in the Czech
Republic - Citizens of the country place
great value on the handshakes and eye contact when meeting new people or seeing
friends.
3. Understand that people in the country are very formal
– People in the Czech Republic only use first names for family and close
friends.
4. Understand the important of family traditions and
holidays– Czech families believe in modesty and taking off their shoes when
they enter a house
5. Understand the value of establishing plans for a
child’s education - Czech families believe in planning think it brings a sense
of security.
From my research on families
in the Czech Republic, I learned how important and dedicated they are to
tradition and family. By showing respect when I first meet the family, I am
establishing a relationship with them. For the Czech people, they have a more
formal approach to new relationships. Once all parties become comfortable, both
parties can pursue a more informal relationship.
Reference:
Kwintessential.
(2014). Czech Republic - Language, Culture, Customs and Etiquette |
global-etiquette | resources. Retrieved from
http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/czech.html
i like your comment about understanding the value of establishing plans for a child’s education because it brings a sense of security. I believe that this is the case for many cultures i've known, mine especially, and the children are brought up with the significance of education in their mind. Great country you picked, very interesting!
ReplyDeleteHello Tanya, I never heard of the country Czech Republic before lol. After reading your post I have learned so much from your blog this week and I feel like I have already visit it very informative it is amazing with over 195 different country and for all of us as educator, children and their families and all of us learning about each other it is so awesome. I like your comment that you mentioned above how this particular country build their relationship in a formal way. I believe other country values education and values about their child and we all can learn and respect each other. Very unique country that you pick.
ReplyDeleteTemika McCann
Have a great week !
Hi Tanya! It is so interesting to me that you picked the Czech Republic. My first year of teaching, I was in a private school and was the only Kindergarten teacher. That year we got a family of Russian immigrants who had a child in Kindergarten. They didn't know English, I couldn't speak Russian, our customs and expectations were different...Needless to say, the admin did nothing to prepare the staf for this family. Through a lot of struggles and starting over, we got through the school year. I think we did this family a great dis-service by not being prepared for them. On the other hand, they were so happy to be in America, and so gracious for our efforts that they were delightful to work with. I learned a great deal from that experience, and will for ever apply that knowledge to families I have the opportunity to teach.
ReplyDeleteHi Tanya, Great post! I think that the different ways you established to be more culturally responsive towards families are indeed great means. I think all these ways you shared are showing the families that you value them and respect their culture. And you're prepared and ready for them.
ReplyDeleteHello Tanya,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your blog it makes you think that if we don't educate ourselves on other people's cultures than we could possibility insult them and some countries that can be very dangerous. I really enjoyed learning about the Czech Republic and their culture. I feel that parents think that their children need to learn the american culture and learn english language. I want to make sure my parents understand that their culture is just as important as everyone else's. What do you think about that?
Tanya,
ReplyDeleteI think you picked an awesome country to studies. Amazing one giving examples of each action you would take to better understand and prepare of the Czech Republic culture. The first tradition my mother and father expresses this all the time to myself and my sisters.
1. Understanding the value of family in the Czech Republic – The country follows more of a traditional role in the family. The father is the main breadwinner with the mother staying home until the child is at least 3 years.