Tuesday, September 9, 2014

EDUC 6164 - My Family Culture

If I had to take three items with my on this journey I would take my iPad, family albums, and my son’s baby book. Each of the items have very special meaning to me and are important to me. My iPad is important because I can store all my photos of my family. Recently, I had the opportunity to go through a ton of pictures from my childhood and scan them into my computer. So my iPad houses photos from my childhood up to today. I would also like to take my family photo albums. I have many of these pictures on my iPad but I still love to look through them and recall the day or the event especially my wedding. Finally, I would take my son’s baby book. This book is so special and represents one of the greatest moments of my life. It features information from the day I found out to the day my son was born.

If I was told I could only take one item, I would probably just take my iPad. I can take photos of the information and store it on my iPad. I would be upset to lose the other two because the pages are handwritten and filled out with so much love. I would feel like I am giving up an important part of my life.  At least I would still have the memories, photos, and pages stored on my iPad.


This exercise was eye opening. It was hard to determine the three most important items to take on the journey. Family is very important to me, and I have had some great role models. My family culture comes from my parents who learned their own family culture from their parents. Living so far away from my immediate family, I learned how to adjust my own family culture to embrace the values I learned growing up.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya -

    You and I had some of the same items that we would take and pictures was at the top of that list. I did not think about my IPad, but did say I would take my cell phone so that along with saved pictures, I would be able to keep in touch with my family/friends and maybe communicate with the culture where I would end up being taken to.
    This exercise was not only eye opening, but deep thought provoking exercise that really had me thinking about what is important. I know my family passed traditions down to me that I have passed on to my son, but I also know that some of those traditions my husband, son and I have changed a little to make it our own traditions in our family.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Gena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya
    I choose a photo album as well, funny I consider taking my kids baby books then I realized all those milestones was captured in the photographs help in the photo album. I have always been obsessed with pictures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya,
    i think its wonderful that you would take your sons photo album, there is nothing more precious than the journey you went through with your sons life. It is also a great gift to your son, when he is older you could pass this book on to him as a gift of life and i am sure he will cherish it for life. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya
    I did not think about my iPad. I also have many pictures of the family on my iPad. I also picked a photo album for precious memories. Many of us had the same ideas. I agree with you this exercise was an eye opener. Picking three items was very hard for me because everything has a special place in my heart.
    LaNea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tanya, I enjoyed reading your post. I agree this assignment was indeed an eye opener for me as well. It took me to a place on deep emotions and gave me a new appreciation for my life and the things I take otherwise for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Tanya, I think we all cherish our family albums. I too chose a portrait of my family because it constantly reminds us of where we come from and encourages us to move forward in our lives. I like how you also chose your son's baby album. Having children is a great accomplishment and if we are able to survive through that experience, it is clear that we are able to get through anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tanya,

    I thought that one of my items should be my iPad or computer when I was thinking about this weeks blog. We all rely so much on our computer accessories these days that we can really carry our entire family culture on one device! This is so different from my grandmother or mother's history where they wouldn't have had the opportunity to take so much with them in such a small package.
    Machaela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya,
    Pictures are the true treasure to memories of our childhood and our children. As I read peers blogs I can feel the love that we all have for our families and especially for our children. Your blog was very nice. I really thought it was beautiful of you when you said you would take your sons baby albulm.

    ReplyDelete