Tuesday, August 19, 2014

When I think of research...

What insights have you gained about research from taking this course?
One of the greatest insights I take away from this course is that it is important to be thorough when stating your research problem. This helps understand the problem better and helps your audience understand the basis for your research.

In what ways have your ideas about the nature of doing research changed?
At the end of the course, I feel much more comfortable with knowing how to setup research and reading research reports from others. I believe I am better prepared for creating my own research.

What lessons about planning, designing, and conducting research in early childhood did you learn?
I believe it is very important to take your time in developing these areas. When each area is thoroughly developed, you can provide a greater understanding to reason why you are creating the research.

What were some of the challenges you encountered—and in what ways did you meet them?
My biggest challenge was time without distractions to complete the assignments. Since the subject is a little intimidating, I felt I needed to concentrate without any distractions. I was able to accomplish this by relying on my husband more and working around his schedule. Another challenge was the material. I found myself frequently referring back to the different material we used throughout the course. This was very helpful and indeed helped me understand the processes better.

What are some of the ways your perceptions of an early childhood professional have been modified as a result of this course?
I applaud early childhood researchers. They are able to see where the research needs to be done and commit themselves to advancing the field. Their contributions have made a difference!


Good luck to you all!! I look forward to working with you again in future classes.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tanya,

    We made it through the course. It was a challenging journey. I feel more comfortable with research than at first. I know I have many things left to learn about conducting research but at least I do have the basis of it. I think that one day I would definitely want to conduct research. Hope to hear from you in the next course. Congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya,

    Thank you for sharing your experience during this class. It was certainly challenging and complex! The time and resources (and patience) it takes to complete research still seems daunting to me. I am glad I learned about the process and the understand what researchers go through in order to add valuable knowledge and topics to the early childhood field. I look forward to hearing from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tanya I have learned so much from you and I am grateful to have you in the class to share all your ideas with your class mates was awesome. I would like to thank you sharing your experience as well during these 8 weeks of class. I can agree with you this was a tough class but we had awesome teacher who cared about her student and I feel we all over came our fears with Dr. Kien support and classmates as well This class was very time consuming and require all your attention but this will all pay off for all of us. I still have a ways to go being and expert but I feel more secure that I know how to make sure that research is creditable to a study. I look forward and hop you will be in my class next time have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya,
    I also was intimidated by this subject. Research in the early childhood field is something that I have been aware of for a long time, but never really explored the process of conducting research and the thinking process and intentionality that goes with it! It was wonderful that you had a great support system within your family. I also found myself needing to concentrate more carefully with the new vocabulary in this course. It is also wonderful how our classmates have supported each other through the process. I think that so many of us were had similar apprehensions and we got through it together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very challenging class. I am happy that we all are able to walk away with gaining insight on being and becoming better researchers. Thank you for sharing your insights with us! Wish you the best of luck, and hope there are less distractions for you (:

    ReplyDelete